MemoriesFromBooks

Memories From Books on Booklikes

Always a reader. Writing to remember and to share my thoughts on the books I read.

Dreams of the Compass Rose

Dreams of the Compass Rose - Vera Nazarian Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/dreams-of-compass-rose.html

Dreams of the Compass Rose is a long collection of stories that creates a mythological world of the Compass Rose and surrounding terrains. It has gods and goddesses, humans, and those in between. The stories start off standing alone, but as the book moves along, the stories and the characters start to tie together. The cross references and links become stronger and clearer the further a reader goes into the book.

The Compass Rose is a place, a thing, and an idea. It could be anywhere and everywhere. The stories are mystical, and each seems to feel like there is an unspoken message. Like most mythology, the stories, character, and places can be symbols for comparable things in our world. One theme that runs throughout is the idea of what is reality and what is an illusion. What will an individual choose - the illusion or the truth and how far will they go to live with that decision?

The book starts off a little slow and a little confusing because the stories do appear to stand alone and unrelated. That dispels as the book progresses. The latter half of the book brings characters that grow and stories that draw the reader in further to this world. By the end, the book leaves you wishing for more.

Just a format note - Reading the kindle edition, it was difficult to flip back and forth as the stories connected. A list of characters and perhaps a mythological map or a dynamic table of content (allowing you to progress to that story) would have added a lot to the enjoyment of the book.

*** Book reviewed for the LibraryThing Member Giveaway Program ***