MemoriesFromBooks

Memories From Books on Booklikes

Always a reader. Writing to remember and to share my thoughts on the books I read.

A Better High

A Better High - Matt Bellace Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2012/03/better-high.html

A Better High is a book based on a youth program called "How to Get High Naturally." The target audience is teenagers and young adults. The goal is to teach the youth the advantages of find healthy ways to expressing themselves and finding their "highs" and, of course, staying away from unhealthy behaviors such as drugs, cutting, alcohol, and excessive behaviors.

Some of the natural highs discussed are familiar ones - laughter, exercise, eating well, service and giving, and loving relationships. Interestingly, the book also raises the point that even some of these positive highs can turn negative if taken to excess. For example, the enjoyment of delicious, healthy food is a natural high. However, the same thing in excess can lead to obesity and eating disorders. So, the concept of balance is important.

Matt Bellace is a neuropsychologist, a motivational speaker, and a comedian. He uses all these areas of expertise, personal stories, and comedy to deliver his lesson. The message is a very positive one. I am always happy to seeing the message coming from multiple sources and being reinforced for our youth.

The book reads like a series of talks being delivered. As such, I don't think it has quite the same impact as listening to the same message would. I think the book would be great as an accompaniment to the author's presentation. I really wish I had been able to attend and hear him speak!