MemoriesFromBooks

Memories From Books on Booklikes

Always a reader. Writing to remember and to share my thoughts on the books I read.

Sweet Salt Air

Sweet Salt Air: A Novel - Barbara Delinsky Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com/2013/07/sweet-salt-air.html

Childhood friends grown apart over time because of betrayals and secrets. A marriage stressed by illness and more secrets. A brooding mysterious man with secrets of his own. A beautiful Maine setting.

Charlotte and Nicole grew up together, close as sisters. As adults, their lives have taken different roads. Charlotte is single, a writer who travels the worlds for her stories. Nicole has achieved success of her own as a food blogger. She is married to a rising star physician. They reunite at Nicole's family home on an island off the coast of Maine to collaborate on a cookbook on island food. The island, Quinnipeague, offers a beautiful setting and its own cast of quirky character including Leo, a secretive somewhat reclusive man. Secrets emerge, relationships change, and by the end things come together.

This book has all the makings of a fun, easy summer beach read. Unfortunately, for me, it was not. For one, I guessed the big life changing secret early on in the book, and from there, it becomes too predictable. Predictability in and of itself is not so bad, but I also find myself not engaged with the characters. The best part of the book for me is the beautiful Maine setting.